In the past few decades supercomputers have not only revolutionized scientific research but have also been used increasingly by businesses all over the world to accelerate design, production processes and the development of innovative services.
Modern microelectronics has created many new opportunities. Today powerful supercomputers enable us to collect and process huge amounts of data. Complex systems can be studied through numerical simulation without having to build a prototype or set up a scaled experiment beforehand. All this leads to a quicker and cheaper design of new products, cost-efficient processes and innovative services. To support this development in Flanders, the Flemish Government founded in late 2007 the Flemish Supercomputer Center (VSC) as a partnership between the government and Flemish university associations. The accumulated expertise and infrastructure are assets we want to make available to the industry.
A collaboration with the VSC offers your company a good number of benefits.
- Together we will identify which expertise within the Flemish universities and their associations is appropriate for you when rolling out High Performance Computing (HPC) within your company.
- We can also assist with the technical writing of a project proposal for financing for example through the IWT (Agency for Innovation by Science and Technology).
- You can participate in courses on HPC, including tailor-made courses provided by the VSC.
- You will have access to a supercomputer infrastructure with a dedicated, on-site team assisting you during the start-up phase.
- As a software developer, you can also deploy HPC software technologies to develop more efficient software which makes better use of modern hardware.
- A shorter turnaround time for your simulation or data study boosts productivity and increases the responsiveness of your business to new developments.
- The possibility to carry out more detailed simulations or to analyse larger amounts of data can yield new insights which in turn lead to improved products and more efficient processes.
- A quick analysis of the data collected during a production process helps to detect and correct abnormalities early on.
- Numerical simulation and virtual engineering reduce the number of prototypes and accelerate the discovery of potential design problems. As a result you are able to market a superior product faster and cheaper.
About the VSC
The VSC was launched in late 2007 as a collaboration between the Flemish Government and five Flemish university associations. Many of the VSC employees have a strong technical and scientific background. Our team also collaborates with many research groups at various universities and helps them and their industrial partners with all aspects of infrastructure usage.
Besides a competitive infrastructure, the VSC team also offers full assistance with the introduction of High Performance Computing within your company.
Bekaert nv: modeling wire manufacturing
Bekaert is world leader in steel wire transformation. It relies on VSC infrastructure and knowhow to predict the behaviour of steel wire during transformation processes.
Diabatix - Convenient access to efficient thermal design
Diabatix is a Flemish startup that focuses on the design, simulation and optimization of refrigeration components. Thanks to the VSC, it is able to serve its customers 50 times faster.
Flanders Hydraulics Research
Flanders Hydraulics Research studies the impact of human activity and nature on water systems and the consequences for shipping. It advises the Flemish Government and private organizations.
Janssen Pharmaceutica uses the VSC Tier-1 infrastructure to analyse large data sets with the aim of reducing the failure rate in the clinic II phase of the development of new medicines.